Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Conversations

Something I've given a bit of thought to and I'm trying to become more comfortable doing.

Conversation - a two-way, verbal interaction between two people. It's unavoidable, it's common, it's part of being human. No matter where you go or what you do, it's one of the most basic parts of living. We engage in conversation all the time, but it's amazing how many people don't know how to hold a good conversation, myself included.

Why am I so bad at it? 

I tend to be reserved and keep to myself in public so I'm usually not the one to initiate the conversation and therefore I'm awful at it. However, in the rare occasion that I do find myself verbally engaged with someone, I really enjoy it. I feel like my conversational skills are garbage and I really need to put some effort into making them stronger. Running out of things to say, appearing awkward and being uninterested are all weakness I need to improve upon. I was also told I need to smile more. This is true.

I think most people can appreciate a solid, engaging conversation. But like I mentioned earlier, I think the problem is that a lot of people (specifically referring to people my own age) don't  know how to hold a good conversation or initiate one, and don't do it on a regular basis.

Don't be one of those people. I posted several links below that reveal some quick and easy pointers to improving your social/conversational skills. Remember, everybody is different. Just because you are naturally talkative does not mean you are naturally good at it. For me, I need to be more engaging and outgoing in conversation. Other people maybe need to talk less and listen more.

http://www.wikihow.com/Have-a-Great-Conversation

http://happytoinspire.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-have-good-conversation-with.html

http://conversation-skills-core.com/how-to-strike-up-great-conversations-every-time

Just like anything else, it takes practice. Start with one point and work on it until you get comfortable with it and then move to the next. Just from reading these articles, I saw a difference in the way I talked to people I encountered today. It works. If you are willing to put in the effort, it will work.

Random, sorta off-topic: Small talk. I hate it. I know all convos start with some sort of introductory bit of small-talk chit-chat but I hate the obligatory, recycled greeting questions you could call them, that people say to each other in passing or in brief encounters. Its meaningless and its just done out of politeness. I hate it. But that's a rant for another day.

So yeah. Go out and be a better conversationalist.

No comments:

Post a Comment