Monday, January 14, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

I know I'm two weeks late but hey, better late than never. 

I could rant about the American tradition of New Year's resolutions. Making a resolution or a promise for the entire year is pretty daunting when you think about it. It's no wonder people always break their resolutions. It seems like because it is a New Year's resolution, it's okay to break it. I usually don't make resolutions because I know I'm just going to break them too. "My New Year's resolution is to not have one."

I'm trying something new this year. Don't get me wrong, I do what to succeed and improve upon myself and do better than I did last year. If you were or are one of those naive Americans (I'm kidding) who made a resolution for this year or past years, then more power to you. I'm not against it. The motive is right. But I think the method is wrong.

So this year, I promise to -- oh wait. 

I promise to do my best to be my best, to work hard, to put in the hours, to push through the good days and the bad, to do well in school, to maintain a positive attitude no matter what, to never complain, to have fun and  make memories, to appreciate what I have and the people I'm with, to always be myself and never compare myself to anyone else. I promise to make this a daily resolution; everyday I will abide by these promises to the best of my ability, and start with a clean slate the following day. I promise to take this resolution one day at a time, that this declaration of change will be a means of improvement for myself, and not a chore or a burden. 

Today is a big enough battle in itself; if I survive today, only then can I tackle tomorrow. 

That's my resolution. An experiment, a work in progress. But it's progress. I aim to keep it. Let's see how well I do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment